When water freezes, it expands, and can cause pipes to split, resulting in a flood when they thaw out.
When low temperatures are in the forecast:
- Raise the setting on your thermostat. Heating pipes have thinner walls and can freeze before other plumbing, causing a domino effect of freeze-ups that can be disastrous.
- If you have plumbing fixtures on exterior walls, run a heater nearby or leave the water dripping to prevent pipes from freezing up and bursting.
- Know where your water shut off valves are so you can stop the flooding in the event that a pipe bursts from the cold.
- Make sure your hose bibs are drained for the winter.
During the warmer months:
- Add insulation around problem pipes to prevent headaches next winter.
- In new construction and renovation projects, make sure pipes are adequately insulated.
- Replace old hose bibs with frost proof hose bibs.
If your pipes freeze despite your best efforts – call Polo Plumbing & Heating!